Salary: £26k to £28k
Do you have a keen eye for detail?
Enjoy liaising with people to get a great result?
Want to play a critical part in an operational team?
This might just be the job for you!
We’re a class-leading manufacturer of custom-made rubber products for industries at the cutting-edge of technology such as aerospace, motorsport and high-tech manufacturers. We design and produce parts in technically demanding materials and configurations at our factory in Southampton. We’re great at what we do, we choose carefully who we do it for, and our teams are skilled and passionate about our work.
You will be working with our technical, planning and production teams to organise the procurement of materials at the right time for use in manufacture. You are methodical and organised, and thrive in busy environments where there are multiple priorities. You are a great communicator and enjoy working alongside other teams to make things happen.
Main duties and responsibilities
- You will play an integral part in ensuring our quotes and tenders to customers are competitive and realistic. This means liaising with a range of suppliers to obtain the best lead times and pricing options.
- You will be placing orders with suppliers and progressing or expediting these as needed. This ensures that our supply chain meets their promises and that we can communicate back to our customers with up-to-date and timely information on their orders.
- Data is key for running our operations smoothly. You will be responsible for ensuring that the information we hold about parts, prices, suppliers and alternative supply sources is maintained and accurate.
- To make sure that we have accurate and current information on the status of planned works orders, you will produce reports to support the planning and production process. This means that adjustments can be made as needed for our schedule to remain achievable.
- Performance of our suppliers impacts our own performance, both in terms of customer service and profitability. You will measure those performance levels so that we can manage our supply chain effectively, address concerns quickly and understand where our strengths and weaknesses lie.
- You will work alongside our goods-in team to ensure that materials and parts are booked into stores and logged or progressed. Any queries back to suppliers will be handled by you.
- We will rely on you for the purchase of consumables, COSHH items and other ad hoc things that we need to keep the business and our teams running smoothly, so you will be the go-to person for requests as well as monitoring stocks of those items that we use regularly.
- In order to meet our sometimes very stringent customer demands and to ensure we get the service we need, you may need to negotiate with our suppliers on price and on delivery. Whilst you will be supported to develop these skills, confidence in these kinds of conversations and techniques will set you in good stead.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Great communication skills. You’ll be talking to suppliers, either in person, on the phone or via Teams calls, as well as liaising with internal teams to provide support on purchasing and delivery dates.
- An eye for detail. The accuracy of our information is critical to our operational success as well as in retaining our customers’ trust.
- A structured and organised approach. You will be juggling multiple requests and demands from a range of people and systems throughout your day, many of which will have deadlines and will be critical to another department’s organisation and operation. Your ability to manage this varied and demanding workload with a calm and methodical mindset will prove invaluable.
- Experience in an administrative role. We always aim to grow and develop our team members, but as this role is newly created we will expect you to be able to hit the ground running, creating your own procedures whilst working with our own in-house systems and processes. We believe that four years’ experience will be needed as a minimum.
- We have MRP and ERP systems in place that you will be trained to use, although some experience working with this kind of software would be of benefit. Experience in MS Excel and other Office applications is expected.
- You will have some experience in purchasing and stock management systems and processes and enjoy the detail, variation and challenges that this work presents.
What you’ll get in return
- £26,000-28,000 / annum
- 22 days annual leave per year + long service escalation
- Pension scheme with company contribution
- Subsidised gym membership
For the softer bit – the reason our team comes to work every day – take a look at our team page.
To apply or to find out more about the role, get in touch with Fiona Jamieson on [email protected]