close

150 YEARS OF RUBBER

We are proud to have achieved something in the rubber industry that few manufacturing companies do in any industry, with technologies and markets constantly changing.

Read our detailed history

Pre
1865

1865

May
1933

May
1936

Sept
1936

March
1937

June
1951

1952

1957

1972

1979

1981

1985

1988

1990

1991

1993

1998

1999

150
Years

The
Future

PRE 1865

Robert Martin

Robert Martin

Robert Martin, father to John Hadlow Martin, was working as a waterproofer in Southampton. He probably used early rubber-proofed products, produced by Robert Mackintosh from 1824 on.

1865

38 BERNARD STREET

38 BERNARD STREET OPENS

The first Martin's Rubber shop opens at 38 Bernard St, Southampton, owned by John Hadlow Martin. It was listed in the 1887 census as an 'India Rubber dealer and Gutta Percha manufacturer', selling proofing materials, fabrications, gaskets and hoses. JH Martin owned the company and property until 1913.

MAY 1933

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Nelson Alfred Samler-Brown buys the goodwill of the company. First board meeting is held at Great Pollard St, London.

MAY 1936

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT, AGAIN

Salmer-Brown sells the company to GR Roberts and Geoffrey J Russell. AE Campbell hired as secretary.

SEPT 1936

COMPANY MOVES FROM
BERNARD STREET TO
11 OXFORD STREET,
SOUTHAMPTON

MARCH 1937

11 OXFORD STREET

12 OXFORD STREET

AE Campbell, company director, considers the acquisition of 12 Oxford Street, Southampton. With 11 Oxford Street already in his possession, he discusses combining the two buildings for trade purposes.

JUNE 1951

BIG PLANS

Directors meet; AE Campbell reports on plans to buy Orchard Place.

1952

NEW FACTORY OPENS AT ORCHARD PLACE

AE Campbell (with his associate, Reg Cave) purchases a plot of land on neighbouring Orchard Place. John Atlee acts as solicitor for the move. Martin's Rubber uses the plot to build a new factory for manufacturing.

Orchard Place

1957

BRIAN HOOPER MARRIES
AE CAMPBELL'S DAUGHTER,
PAULINE, AND IS NOW PART
OF THE COMPANY.

1972

ADJOINING WAREHOUSE
BOUGHT BY AE CAMPBELL.
USED TO STORE RUBBER
SHEET AND HOSE STOCK.

1979

family buyout

FAMILY BUYOUT

Brian Hooper buys out shares held outside of his family. The company becomes a sole family business for the first time since the Martins owned it.

1981

Paul Hooper

THE HOOPER
FAMILY EVOLUTION…

Brian's son, Paul, becomes part of the Martin's Rubber enterprise.

1985

AS BRIAN MOVES INTO
SEMI­RETIREMENT, PAUL
BEGINS MANAGING THE
DAY-TO-DAY OPERATIONS
OF THE COMPANY

1988

Adam Hooper

Paul's brother, Adam Hooper, joins the family business

1990

MOVING FORWARD

The company now offers Seal Jet CNC machining. It's MR's first computer and marks a venture into new technology.

1991

AE CAMPBELL, FORMER
COMPANY DIRECTOR,
PASSES AWAY

1993

EXPANSION

EXPANSION

The family continues to expand the business, buying the adjoining Toderick Tapp Factory and making it into the Cutting Shop/Seal Machining workshop.

1998

MARTIN'S RUBBER BUYS PEARTREE
PLASTICS, A POLYURETHANE
PRODUCTS SPECIALIST

1999

ADJOINING PUB, 'ZENBAR’. IS
PURCHASED BY MARTIN’S RUBBER
AND BECOMES THE OFFICIAL
COMPANY OFFICE

The family continues to expand the business, buying the adjoining Toderick Tapp Factory and making it into the Cutting Shop/Seal Machining workshop.

150 YEARS

In 2015 the company celebrated 150 years in business, and, while it seems that we have been involved in Rubber products since before 1865, by any standard we are one of the longest established businesses in our industry.

150 AND BEYOND

A focus on materials innovation, and value as experts in rubber manufacture.

Speak to one
of our experts

iso9001

+44 (0) 23 8022 6330

Know exactly what you want? Upload your drawings so we can provide a tailored solution

Get in touch with us today by email sales@martins-rubber.co.uk